What Causes Thin Hair and How to Cure the Problem?
Everyone wants to have lush, thick and healthy hair but owing to numerous reasons thin hair has become more prevalent. Thinning of hair can be the result of several causes and while it can be treated, the downside of thin hair is that they are the preliminary stage to bigger problems like male and female pattern baldness.
Hair is an important part of our identity and that is exactly why we must take care of them just as much as we take care of our bodies. While proper nutrition and a balanced lifestyle are a must, it is also important that you don’t panic and turn to homemade remedies on thinning of hair. Rather you must consult a hair expert; a trichologist to know the root cause of your thin hair and the treatments available for the same in order to dodge the dreadful condition of baldness.
At Trichohom, we believe that hair loss is curable and we can help you fight it with our best in class, effective and efficient hair regeneration treatments. Consulting an expert trichologist when you notice thinning of hair is the first step towards prevention and cure.
What are the causes of thin hair?
Thin hair is the result of numerous reasons. Let’s have a look at some of them:
- Genes: Genes play an important role in male and female pattern baldness. While it is a common aspect of aging, if you are a woman your hair may get thinner overall but the condition is less likely to make your hairline recede or result in complete baldness. And if you are a man, your hair may get thinner near the top of your head making it more likely to result in a retreating hairline and baldness.
- Stress: We are used to encountering stress and using it as a coping mechanism owing to our sedentary lifestyles. Stress can result in thinning of hair, be it daily work related stress or a stressful event in your life. This condition is called telogen effluvium. There are treatments to grow your hair back. However, surgery, pregnancy and child birth, fever or illness like factors trigger stress induced thinning of hair.
- Diet: Not getting sufficient nutrients from your diet also plays an important role in causing thin hair. According to several dietitians, nutritional deficiencies are one of the top causes of hair loss owing to low levels of iron, Vitamin B, or protein. It is important to consume healthy and wholesome meals, nutrients of which will contribute to hair growth and the deficiency of which will lead to thin, brittle hair.
- Thyroid: Your thyroid regulates the metabolism, growth and other bodily functions hence if the thyroid gland is not working properly, it can result in thinning of hair leading to hair loss.
- Tight hairstyles: While most of us are fans of braids and ponytails specially in the scorching heat, these hairstyles tend to cause thin hair in areas where the tug is tight. You can prevent thin hair and hair loss like consequences by loosening up your hairstyles and use scrunches to ensure the rubber band does not pull your hair too tightly.
Some other factors that contribute to thinning of hair are:
- Extensive hair treatments like dyes, perms and hair relaxants
- Hormonal changes
- Androgenetic alopecia
- Alopecia areata
- Scalp psoriasis or infections of the scalp
- Taking high doses of vitamin supplements
How to cure thin hair?
The cure to thin hair depends on the reason for hair thinning. Hair that becomes thinner and falls due to cancer-like conditions for instance, usually starts growing back within 3-6 months after the treatment while thinning of hair during childbirth gets back to normal 6-9 months later. There are several treatments at Trichohom that can give you the perfect cure to thin hair.
Let’s take a look at some of the treatments reversing the phenomena of thin hair:
- Rogaine/Minoxidil: This medication is a liquid or foam that is to be applied on the scalp. You can buy it with or without prescription over the counter at the advice of your doctor. Minoxidil shows its effect after several months of usage and you will notice thickening of hair. However, the drawback with using this medication is you’ll start to lose hair again when you stop taking it.
- Microneedling: Microneedle is a device with hundreds of tiny needles that you use on your scalp, which helps the hair grow. Microneedling is used in several hair transplant treatments as well to ensure the substance reaches your scalp quickly but efficiently. The same is also proed by several studies stating that microneedling works best when paired with another hair regeneration treatment.
- PRP treatment: We are fans of the PRP treatment not only because we provide it to you but also because we have witnessed tremendous results on patients from the same. A simple and non-invasive procedure like PRP that allows you to get back to your normal routine the very next day post procedure is something that is efficient and effective for anyone suffering from thinning of hair and hair loss problems.
PRP also known as platelet-rich plasma, requires a small quantity of blood from the patient’s body which is then put into a centrifuge and spun at a certain speed in order to separate plasma from the blood. This plasma is injected into targeted areas of the scalp to treat thinning of hair and hair loss. The procedure takes about 15-20 minutes overall and does not require excessive after care. Most patients are required to get a follow-up treatment every 3 to 6 months or as per the advice of their trichologist.
- Low level laser therapy: Low level laser therapy (LLLT) is a non-surgical hair loss treatment that is carried out using laser to stimulate cell growth by supercharging that hair follicles. It helps combat thin hair and hair loss as well as improves the volume and appearance of hair. The LLLT is a FDA approved painless and no-side effects treatment mainly used to treat androgenetic alopecia also known as male or female pattern baldness.
- Hair transplant: The Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) treatment is a modern and popular hair transplant therapy wherein single follicular hair are harvested from your scalp in a random manner in order for the process to avail hair from the donor area which undergoes less thinning of hair.
In FUE, the hair is harvested by making round microscopic incisions on the scalp and asserts individual hair follicles that were harvested from the donor site, into the minor incisions made on the recipient site.
Trichohom understands your concerns about thinning of hair and renders a large variety of treatment to reverse thin hair as well as prevent balding. We are enriched with state of the art facilities and the best trichologists in Ahmedabad which enables us to give perfect, efficient and effective solutions for your hair loss problems.